Read Across America
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2021—“You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a good book!” - Dr. Seuss. Today is National Read Across America Day, and Dr. Seuss’ birthday. In honor of this national event, below are some ideas of ways you too can celebrate.
- Read a book you've been meaning to read.
- Join your library.
- Read with your Atom.
- Read a book you've read before - you might discover that it has NEW meaning to you since you read it last.
- Have your Atom read a story aloud to you (or your pet). Reading aloud strengthens their vocabulary and language skills and it also creates an opportunity for discussion.
We hope you all have a wonderful National Read Across America Day (and Dr. Seuss Day)!
Black History Month Art Activity
Monday, February 22nd, 2021—Utica Academy of Science high school art teacher, Ms. Vaccaro invites students and staff to participate in its Black History Month Art Activity. Participants are tasked with submitting an entry in the form of art or multimedia in one of the following categories:
- Create a short 1 minute video about what Black History means to you
- Create a poster with your favorite quote, message or illustration about Black History
- Create a drawing with a Civil Rights theme
- Create a drawing, poster or video paying tribute to Mary Wilson from The Supremes
Tuesday, February 16th, 2021—Utica Academy of Science will have no school on Tuesday, February 16th through Friday, February 19th for Winter Recess. Classes will resume on Monday, February 22nd. Enjoy this long weekend, Atoms and remember to stay healthy, safe and warm!
Monday, February 15th, 2021—In observance of Presidents’ Day there will be no school on Monday, February 15th. Enjoy your day off, Atoms!
Mid-Winter Break Message from SANY Superintendent Dr. Hayali
As we all get ready to start mid-winter break, I have been reflecting on the ways each and every one of our Atoms have been able to make an impact at school through your academic work, your interactions with your fellow classmates and teachers, but more importantly how you are helping make a difference for those who need it the most in your community. To say I am impressed with all of your efforts is an understatement.
Here are just a few of the ways Atoms are giving back to their communities:
- Earlier this month, Syracuse Academy of Science and Citizenship announced they will be hosting a Band-Aid Drive which will benefit the patients at Golisano Children’s hospital.
- Syracuse Academy of Science High School is hosting a Donation Drive to benefit the Dunbar Center - a local organization that strives to enhance the quality of life, break the cycle of generational poverty and develop racial equality in the greater Syracuse community.
- Finally, the National Honor Society students at Utica Academy of Science High School challenged its fellow classmates and teachers in a Kindness Challenge. Their efforts not only with the Kindness Challenge but with various acts of goodwill, charity and kindness have been recognized by Assemblywoman Buttenschon who acknowledged the Atom’s perseverance and willingness to spread kindness in the middle of a global pandemic. It is with all of these little events, that help make a difference in the lives of others and remind me that we are many Atoms, one Family.
While we all get ready for break, I challenge you to take a moment, pause and reflect on all that you have accomplished thus far not only in this school year, but academically, and in the world around you.
On behalf of everyone at SANY, I want to wish all of our students a happy, healthy, restful, and safe mid-winter break!
Dr. Tolga Hayali
Go Red for Women
Wednesday, February 3rd, 2021—February can be synonymous with Valentine's day but did you know that it is actually American Heart and Go Red for Women month? Throughout the month of February, we are encouraging the Utica Academy of Science students to practice healthy habits, such as exercise. It takes 21 days to change a habit. What are you doing today to help your heart? Click here to watch a quick video and learn ways in which you can live a heart healthy lifestyle.
Monday, February 1st, 2021—It’s not too late to share a little kindness with the world! Utica Academy of Science invites its students to participate in the Kindness Challenge which takes place now through Friday, February 12th. Below are the details on how to participate.
- Take a picture of themselves showing an act of kindness.
- Write a few sentences describing their act of kindness
- Submit your picture and description of the act of kindness on the UAS Google Classroom to enter
A drawing will take place on Friday, February 12th. The winner will receive a pizza delivery!
Monday, February 1st, 2021—Utica Academy of Science is excited to announce it has received an Athletic Grant from The Edwin J. Wadas Foundation, Inc.! With this Athletic Grant, Utica Academy of Science high school will be purchasing a basketball shooting machine. Thank you, Edwin J. Wadas Foundation, Inc. for your generosity and kindness.
School Counseling Week
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021—Words cannot describe how thankful we are for our school counselors. These esteemed professionals have touched the lives of many and helped the Atoms achieve academic excellence and success both inside and outside the classroom. To say that we are forever grateful is an understatement. Thank you, school counselors for all your hard work, dedication and listening to all of our students, this means so much to all of us at SANY.
Utica Academy of Science proudly celebrates National School Counseling week, “School Counselors; All in for ALL students!”
❄⛄ Snow Day on Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021
UASCS will be closed due to inclement weather on Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021. There will not be remote learning. Stay safe and warm UAS Atoms. Enjoy the snow day.