Summer Reading at UASCS
Dear Parents and Guardians,
At Utica Academy of Science, we are committed to maintain high academic rigor and prepare our scholars as college and career ready. For this purpose, summer matters. Numerous researches suggest summer time with high-quality learning experiences and personal goal settings for scholars. Summer reading programs provide excellent opportunities to build vocabulary and improve reading fluency during the summer time and prevent summer learning loss phenomenon.
Every UAS scholar is required to read the grade level’s summer reading book from the ELA reading list. The core books were chosen for its related content and qualities from the NYS Common Core reading list or related texts. The required book will be provided by the school free of charge as of July 15.
The books can be picked up at the Middle School site between the hours of 9:00 am and 3:00 pm. Books provided by the school should be returned to ELA teachers in September.
Students should complete the assignment, which corresponds with the required summer reading book. The assignments will be graded and averaged out in the first quarter ELA course grade.
We wish you a restful and enjoyable summer and look forward to seeing you in September.
Utica Academy of Science Charter School
Summer Reading Assignments:
Additional / Suggested Books
- Perseus and Medusa by Blake A. Hoena
- Holes by Louis Sachar
- Heroes, Gods, and Monsters of the Greek Myths by Bernard Evslin
- The Beautiful Stories of Life: Six Greek Myths by Cynthia Rylant
- The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
Dress Down Day - Donate $1
Please pay $1.00 to Ms. Chevrette to get a dress down day on Wednesday, May 25, 2016.
PIC Fundraising Night at Panera Bread
Tuesday, May 24, 2016 between 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. at the Panera Bread bakery-cafe at 4821 Commercial Drive.
Mother’s Day Gift Sale
PIC is selling Silk Roses and Plush Pillows the week of May 2nd-6th, 2016.
6-8 NYS Assessments - Parent Information Session
- What are the recent changes in 6-8 NYS Assessments format?
- What do these assessment mean for parents and students?
- What if my child fails these tests?
UTICA ACADEMY OF SCIENCE INVITES YOU TO 6-8 NYS ASSESSMENTS PARENT INFORMATION SESSION
Where: UASCS HS Library, 160 School Lane, Frankfort, 13340
When: Thursday, March 31, 5:00pm – 5:45pm
Who: UASCS Parents and Guardians
Each year in April students in grade 3-8 take New York State Assessment in English and Mathematics. This year’s assessment dates for our 6th through 8th grade scholars are listed below.
Assessment | Dates | Grade level
NYS ELA | April 5-7 | 6th, 7th, 8th
NYS Math | April 13-15 | 6th, 7th, 8th
I am pleased to inform you that NYSED has announced very important changes this year about the format and the duration of Math and ELA Assessments. The new student-friendly format allows our scholars to get unlimited time and less number of questions to answer. The assessment results will provide a detailed report regarding your child’s progress toward being college and career ready by the time they graduate from high school.
We hope you find the following information helpful about the format and the purpose of these assessments:
- The assessment has unlimited time and less number of questions in this year’s tests.
- The assessment questions are directly aligned with the Common Core curriculum and written for New York State students.
- The questions have been reviewed extensively by NYS educators and revised based on their feedback.
- The new Commissioner Mary Ellen Ella has been working closely with teachers and parents to improve the New York State’s assessment program including online assessment for instant feedback for instructional improvement.
- The main purpose for the assessment is to provide college and career readiness progress feedback for each student
- Each student is unique. State assessment results provide important insight about a student’s progress, and will be used to provide necessary intervention or enrichment for each student.
- The school will not make promotion or placement decisions solely based on student performance in state assessment results.
Our scholars have been working very hard all year to master their grade level content and skills under the guidance of their teachers. We highly encourage all of our scholars to participate and demonstrate their best effort in all of their assessments. We believe a balanced and purposeful state assessment brings so many benefits to our stakeholders. Furthermore, it is a great opportunity for Utica Academy of Science CS to demonstrate its competency to serve our community in Utica.
Director at Utica Academy of Science
Get to know the Utica Academy of Science Charter School.
We are a tuition free, public charter school. Please come and get to know who we are! There will be time for questions at the end of the presentation.
Panel will consist of students, parents, community members, and school administrators.
Time: 5:30 PM
Date: Thursday, March 3, 2016
Address: 160 School Lane, Frankfort, NY
UAS Night at Wendy's
On February, 23, 2016, just show up and place your order at Wendy's between 5pm and 9pm. Drive thry as well. Portion of proceeds go to UAS-PIC.
Wendy's at 175 N. Genesse St. Utica. NY 13502.