Building Update 2021
Thursday, May 13th, 2021—It’s official, the New York State Board of Regents approved a revision to relocate the Utica Academy of Science middle school from Frankfort-Schuyler Central School District to Utica Academy of Science Charter School’s Frankfort campus.
Starting in the 2021 - 2022 academic year, all Utica Academy of Science Charter School Atoms will be in one building at the Frankfort campus. Many Atoms, one family!
Contingency Snow Day and Remote Learning Updates
Friday, May 7th, 2021—Utica Academy of Science Charter Schools announces its updates to the May and June calendar which includes new Remote Learning and Contingency Snow Day dates. The Utica City School District has recently announced their contingency days as 5/14, 5/21, 5/28 and 6/4. Therefore, Utica Academy of Science needed to update its calendar accordingly due to the transportation limitation. Below are updated dates and information regarding upcoming Remote Learning and Contingency Snow Days.
Contingency Snow Day Dates
- May 21 Contingency day - No school for staff and students
- May 28 Contingency day - No school for staff and students
- June 1 Contingency day - No school for staff and students
May/June Calendar Updates for High School
Based on our fully online school model and transportation limitation UAS High School has updated its calendar as follows:
- May 14 Regular online school day - No afternoon bus
- June 4 Regular online school day - No afternoon bus
Remote Learning Information and Dates for Elementary and Middle School
On 5/14/21 and 6/4/21, Utica Academy of Science Elementary and Middle schools will have Remote Learning days. Students will not report to the building, but will be responsible for completing work remotely. School staff will provide students with their remote learning schedule for the day. Please contact your classroom teacher and/or advisory teacher (Middle School) if you have questions about remote learning.
Please don't hesitate to contact your school for any and all questions. Please also reference the May and June calendars for the complete list of contingency and remote learning dates.
Mother's Day 2021
Sunday, May 9th, 2021—“The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.” —James E. Faust
To young children, their mothers are their first friend, nurturer, teacher, inspiration and much more. Mothers play infinite roles in children’s lives, none of which should be taken for granted. In honor of Mother's Day, Utica Academy of Science would like to take this moment to wish all mothers a very happy Mother's Day and to thank you for everything you do in your Atoms' life. Your hard work and dedication certainly does not go unnoticed. We hope that you have a very happy and special Mother's Day!
School Principals' Day
Saturday, May 1st, 2021—Words cannot describe how thankful we are to have an incredible team of dedicated, and hardworking school principals at all of the SANY schools. In honor of National School Principals’ Day we want to extend our gratitude and appreciation for your tremendous work each year. It’s with your commitment and passion for education that help build a positive school community. Each day, you make a difference and an impact not only with the students, but with your teachers, faculty and staff by helping guide them in their education, teaching and learning. Thank you for all your hard work. Many Atoms, one family. Happy National School Principals’ Day!
Spread Joy, Not Germs
Tuesday, April 27th, 2021—Utica Academy of Science middle school 6th grade teachers organized a 'Spread Joy, Not Germs!' event that runs now through Monday, May 17th. As we all know, laughter is contagious and the Atoms are encouraged to share the warmth of a smile, the joy of kindness, positivity and of course laughter. Check out some ideas below on how Atoms can share joy and laughter with a fellow classmate.
- Tell a joke
- Share creative memes
- Help someone who is struggling
- Compliment someone
What a fun and creative idea! Let's be that ray of sunshine, Atoms and Spread Joy ... NOT Germs!
SAT Exam Reminder
Tuesday, April 27th, 2021—The SAT exam will be scheduled for Utica Academy of Science 11th grade students on Tuesday, April 27th at 9:00 AM. The SAT is roughly a 4 hour exam that tests a student on their reading, writing and math skills, and an essay portion which is optional. The highest score to receive on the SAT exam is a 1600.
Testing will take place in the high school cafeteria. We ask that students arrive at the high school building by 8:30 AM. Please use the back parking lot to enter the high school cafeteria. We wish all of our Atoms good luck on their upcoming SAT exam.
Earth Day 2021
Thursday, April 22nd, 2021—Happy Earth Day, Atoms! Did you know today marks the 50th celebration of Earth Day and this year's theme is 'Restore our Earth.' Below are some fun facts about Earth Day.
- Around 1 billion people take part in Earth Day activities around the world every year.
- April 22 was chosen as the date for Earth Day because it fell between Spring Break and final exams, and organizers wanted to maximize student involvement.
- Gaylord Nelson, a senator from Wisconsin, founded Earth Day in 1970 to raise public consciousness about environmental concerns such as pollution, oil spills and vanishing wildlife.
- Twenty million Americans, or about 10 percent of the country’s population at the time, took part in events and demonstrations on the first Earth Day.
PSAT Exam Reminder
Thursday, April 22nd, 2021—The Preliminary SAT (or PSAT) will be scheduled for students in the 9th and 10th grade on Thursday, April 22nd and Friday, April 23rd, please see details below. Students are eligible to take the PSAT once per year. The PSAT is roughly a 2 hour and 45 minute exam that tests a student on their reading, writing and math skills. The highest score to receive on the PSAT is 1520. We wish all of our Atoms good luck on their upcoming PSAT exam.
PSAT Exam Information
- 9th Grade Students: PSAT Exam will be held on Thursday, April 22nd at 9:00 AM in the Utica Academy of Science high school cafeteria.*
- 10th Grade Students: PSAT Exam will be held on Friday, April 23rd at 9:00 AM in the Utica Academy of Science high school cafeteria.*
*Please make sure your child arrives at the high school building by 8:30 AM. Please use the back parking lot to enter the high school cafeteria.
Spring Recess - No School
Friday, April 2nd, 2021—Spring is in the air, and you know what that means ... Spring Recess! In order for the Atoms to get some rest and relaxation, there will be no school on Friday, April 2nd through Friday, April 9th. Classes will resume on Monday, April 12th. Enjoy your Spring Recess, Atoms!
Spring Recess Message
Thursday, April 1st, 2021—A message from your superintendent:
Hello SANY Families,
Just last week we welcomed the first day of spring, and in true Central New York fashion, we know that there is still a chance of snow in the forecast. However, the thought of snow certainly won’t stop us from enjoying our much needed rest and relaxation during the upcoming Spring Recess.
As we know, Spring Recess mentally reminds us all that we are in fact in the ‘home stretch’ of the school year with one marking period left. Many of our Senior Atoms are anxiously awaiting to receive their acceptance letters from colleges and universities both near and far, as we all prepare for their graduation ceremony in June.
It’s at this moment in time, where we watch the planted seeds of academic drive and thirst for knowledge bloom in the spring and blossom in the summer at graduation. While this year, many if not all of us have withered a tumultuous storm with a global pandemic, we all have found ways to overcome and adapt herculean obstacles that no one could have predicted.
Students, families, faculty and staff continue to amaze me each and every day at how we as a SANY community have come together to not only help one another but the greater Syracuse and Utica communities, as well. In addition, students continued to find ways to achieve academic success despite a global pandemic which speaks volumes to their dedication and commitment to their education.
Below are just a few of the many examples that I wanted to highlight, and share with you. If you have not yet viewed these incredible stories, I urge you to visit.
- Throughout the month of February, the students at Syracuse Academy of Science and Citizenship hosted a Band-Aid drive collecting over 4,500 children’s Band-Aids which were donated to Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital
- Utica Academy of Science High School’s National Honor Society hosted a Kindness Challenge in February. Students were tasked with demonstrating acts of kindness both big and small as this can make an impact on others and yourself. The Kindness Challenge has been recognized by Assemblywoman Buttenschon, who presented a proclamation for Utica Academy of Science High School.
- SAS High School students Yakina Sika-Amoah and Theodore Simon won many awards and prizes at the MOST’s CNY Science and Engineering Fair for their project which is a robot developed to clean up coastlines. Yakina and Theodre will also be advancing to the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair in 2021!
In closing, I want to wish everyone a happy, safe and restful Spring Recess. We look forward to seeing you on Monday, April 12, 2021 as we get ready to begin that ‘home stretch’ of the school year.
Dr. Tolga Hayali