Admission to the Utica Academy of Science Charter School (UASCS) shall not be limited on the basis of intellectual ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, disability, race, creed, national origin, religion or on any other ground that would be unlawful. All children who would be eligible for enrollment in New York State schools in the available grades will be eligible to enroll in the charter school, subject to availability and the process set forth below.
UASCS will admit each eligible student who submits a timely application, unless the number of applications exceeds the capacity of the student’s requested grade level or of the school building. Prospective students and their parents or guardians are encouraged to spend a day visiting the school and sitting in on a classroom instruction period. It is important that students and their parents/guardians understand the values of the school along with its academic and social expectations before they are asked to make a decision to enroll their children. The school will take whatever additional steps deemed necessary to make sure that all information needed is provided. The school will make staff available to any parent or guardian who needs help completing the application.
As a public charter school, UASCS is tuition-free. Parents or guardians wishing to submit an application for their child to attend UASCS are required to complete and submit an application online - Application Link. Applications don't carry over from one school year to the next school year. The school does not require any action (beyond the submission of an application) on the part of potential students or their families as a condition of enrollment. The application deadline for the 2021-2022 academic year is midnight of April 1, 2021.
Admissions and Enrollment Process
UASCS will determine the available seats after giving preference to the students returning to the charter school in the second or any subsequent year of operation. If the number of timely submitted applications of eligible students for admission to a UASCS exceeds the capacity of the grade level of the school, students will be accepted for admission from among such applicants by a random selection process (lottery).
The admissions lottery will be conducted during the month of April. The admissions lottery will be well publicized and will be open to the public.
Prior to UASCS’s admissions lottery, a database will be generated containing the name, grade level, and district of residence of every student who has submitted an application. During the lottery, an individual unaffiliated with UASCS will supervise the use of computer software to generate a randomized, ordered list of all students who have submitted an application. UASCS will then use the ordered list (separate for each school) to admit students using the following process:
- First, children of employees will be admitted in the order their name appears in the list up to 15% of the charter school’s total enrollment.
- Second, siblings of current UASCS students will be admitted in the order their name appears on the list.
- Third, students residing in the school district in which the charter school is located in the order that their name appears on the list.
- Fourth, if additional seats remain, students who live outside of local school district will be admitted in the order that their name appears on the list.
- A copy of the student’s birth certificate (to verify that the student is of the appropriate age for the entering grade)
- The student’s most recent report card
- A high school transcript with Regents grades (if applicable)
- A copy of the most recent IEP, 504 plan, or speech therapy plan (if applicable)
- Immunization records
- Documentation of a physical examination (done within the past 12 months)
- Documentation of a dental exam for all new students.
- Documentation for proof of address (include two of the following documents):
- A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name
- Document on letterhead from federal, state, or city agency – including City Housing Authority or the Human Resources Administration – that states home address
- Official payroll documentation from an employer such as a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or a payroll receipt
- An original lease agreement, deed, or mortgage statement for the residence
- A current property tax bill for the residence
- A water bill, cable bill or phone bill for the residence
- Medical or Insurance Card
Students whose names are not selected from the list during the admissions lottery are placed on the UASCS waiting list in the order that their names appear on the original list. In addition, students who apply after the application deadline will be placed on the waiting list in the receiving order. A separate waiting list will be maintained for each grade level.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT APPLICATION PROCESS
When will application process open?
UASCS's application process for the 2021-2022 school year is now open.
How can I file an application for my child?
When is my application due?
Applications are due by midnight of April 1, 2021.
When is the lottery?
The lottery drawing for Utica Academy of Science Charter School (UASCS) is on Thursday, April 7, 2022, starting at 11:00 am at UAS ES Cafeteria. (Postponed to Thursday, April 14, 2022, at 11:00 am)
How do I know if my child is accepted into Utica Academy of Science?
UASCS will notify you directly with either a letter or a phone call to let you know whether your child has been accepted. You will then be required to contact the school to finalize the enrollment.
If my child is enrolled in UASCS, will his/her younger siblings also be able to attend UASCS?
Siblings of students who are enrolled in UASCS must still apply to the school. They will, however, receive preference.
If I do not live in Utica City School District, can my child still apply for UASCS?
Yes, students appropriately aged for our grades can apply for admissions. However, we first offer available seats to students living in Utica City School District and their siblings.
Does UASCS accept students who are English Language Learners (ELL)?
Yes, UASCS does accept students who are English Language Learners (ELL). However, we encourage parents to speak directly with our school leaders to get a better understanding of the instructional strategies our school uses to support the academic growth of English Language Learners.
Does UASCS accept students who have a current IEP?
Yes, we encourage students who have a current IEP to apply. UASCS will work to help meet the goals and objectives outlined in students’ Individualized Education Plans (IEP). However, we encourage parents to speak directly with our school leaders to get a better understanding of the instructional strategies our school uses to support the academic growth of these students.